Sunday 11 December 2011

The Long Walk

I hereby announce my intention to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail in 2008.

I've got the time, I've got the money, and it's something I have always wanted to do.

Man, I've got so much to do. All of the camping equipment I own isn't wildly inappropriate for this type of endeavor. I have a 4 person tent, and an army surplus sleeping bag. Those two things together weigh more than what I want my entire load to weigh, not counting food and water.

I have to figure out logistics. What is going to be available at grocery stores on the way. How much should I focus on freeze-dried rather than fresh food? How many pairs of shoes will I need for 2170 miles of trail? What will I need to have people send to me on the way, versus what should be in the bounce box, and how much?

I have 11 months to try out lightweight shelters sleep systems bags, water purifiers, etc.

Can I get a book out of this? How light is a good camera? Can I learn how to take decent pics before I go, while i am doing all this other stuff.

If I'm going to be gone for 10 months, should I sell or rent my house, or should I just leave it vacant?

Am I worrying about this too much, or should I just guess and deal with the issues on the way?

ARGH! How can I sleep when I spend all night pacing around thinking about this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment